Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation 2

My team Dr. Bug had Oral Presentation2 on Thursday, 25th March, 2010. The aim of the presentation was to create awareness amongst the people about antibiotic misuse and to convince the government bodies to adopt some measures to curb the problem.

 

The evaluation of my performance in Oral Presentation2 will be divided into 3 main points:
  • verbal skills
  • non-verbal skills
  • content

I think that my verbal skills were good as I had a good projection of voice. I used correct pronunciation and suitable pauses which enhanced my fluency. Unlike Oral Presentation1, this time I made sure that I avoid the use of informal words and slangs. However, I feel that my pace was a bit faster at times which should be taken care of. I think that I was a bit hesitant as times because every time I had a new point to discuss. So it took me time to adapt to the new topic. 

With regard to the non-verbal skills, I made use of hands and gestures to my advantage to explain my points efficiently and effectively. I maintained proper eye contact with the audience as well as an appropriate posture. But this time I was looking at the slides a lot which is undesirable.

In terms of content, I was well-versed with all the topics in the presentation which boosted my confidence. I tried to convey the best of my knowledge to the audience. However, in the Q & A session I referred to the MOH proposal considering the public point of view. I should have answered the question taking into consideration that there was a mixed audience (public and MOH).

On the whole, I made some improvements from the last presentation. I was also confident during the presentation. However, I still need to work upon some flaws to do better presentations in future.

As a team, my team was successful in achieving the objectives of the presentation. We conveyed our message effectively to the audience through an innovative presentation style. Our transitions were smooth and our audience responded well to the presentation. However, we exceeded the time limit so we must work upon excellent time management.

10 comments:

Khoa Tran said...

Hi Nitika,

I am very impressed by your presentation especially the content that you deliver and the smooth transition between speakers. As a teammate in the CG1102 project, I can see that you have made tremendous improvements comparing to the oral presentation 1. This time you spoke clearly with confidence and enthusiasm. There is nothing to complain about your verbal skills.

For the non verbal skills, you also have many improvements this time. Appropriate postures and gestures are the advantages. In my opinion, referring to the slides is not an important flaw although it is much better if you can remember your speech. You also make more eye contact this time. However, you still spent more time looking at the camera than looking the audience. You should work on this flaw for the future presentation.

On the whole, you did very well. Many improvements have been made since the last presentation. Hope that we will do better for the oral defence.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nitika,

You have definitely improved on your Oral presentation skills. It is better than the previous one. I noticed the hard work and effort that your team has done for this OP2; meeting early in the morning to practice and rehearse.

With regards to the team, I find that the way your team presents is quite creative; a rotational style. However, this style of presentation really tests the team’s coordination. Constant (a lot of) practice is needed. Otherwise, it may backfire on your team. My feeling was that your team has put in effort to coordinate, but at some parts, there are a few awkward pauses. Having a rotational style also requires the audience to shift their attention constantly from one presenter to another. This may cause the audience to feel dizzy and sometimes confused if the transition is not smooth enough.

As for your part, the projection of voice and tone is good. However, I feel that your tone may come across as being a bit too serious (a bit fierce, to be precise). Your posture also seems a bit stiff. It may be due to nervousness. Try to relax your shoulders and do not strain your voice. Be confident and you will be fine.

In short, a job well done for OP2. Let’s look forward for the Oral Defence!

Regards,
Kevin Lin

RaX said...

Hi Nitika,

Overall, I felt the presentation was good. Your confidence, as you mentioned, was visible with the way you carried yourself and your tone during the presentation.


However, as Khoa mentioned, I also felt that your eye contact was mainly directed at the camera instead of the audience. When I was sitting in the front row, I could see you were focused on the camera and towards the people in the back. However, I think this is a common oversight by people, especially since we all knew we were being filmed.


It's good to see that you have improved since the 1st Oral Presentation. Keep up the good work and good luck for the Oral Defense. =)

Side note:

Overall it's a nicely structured post with paragraphing to separate the sections. However, I spotted 2 small errors. But in general, it's a nice writing format with good language usage.

"I made sure that I avoid the use of informal" - avoided
"my pace was a bit faster as times" - at times

nitika said...

Hi Rayner,
Thanks for your comments.

While seeing the video I did observe that I was looking more at the camera. But I think it was due to the space constraints and overall setting of the room. I was standing in one corner so it was difficult for me to look at the audience sitting in the same corner as me. So, I was looking towards the middle and the opposite corner more. But I do agree with you that I should have looked at the audience all around.

I was confident during the presentation and it helped me do a better presentation. For some reason, in this presentation I was not at all nervous.

I think I made a typo in the post. Thanks for pointing it out. I wrote 'as' instead of 'at'.

Thanks a lot .I hope to receive comments from you in future.

Best Regards,
Nitika

Sim Jing Mei said...

Hi Nitika,

There is no doubt that your oral presentation is good. And I can see that you have identified your strengths for the presentation. However, since this is a reflection, you should try to write more about your weaknesses for future improvements.

As for your actual presentation, you did a good job. You spoke well and clear. However, just a point to note: I think that this is a group presentation and therefore, all the group members should speak up for the Q&A session. You should take note of the number of questions you answered and give the others a chance for answering the questions instead of answering them all by yourself. Perhaps you might wish to consider this when your group is doing to oral defense next week.

Good luck for your oral defense!


Jing Mei

Ganesh said...

Hi Nitika,

Your team took a different approach to the presentation instead of the 1st speaker,2nd speaker etc tradition. It was refreshing, although at times there seemed to be some confusion.

Your presentation was good. I thought you showed good understanding of the content and explained your points clearly and effectively. I was able to understand them. However, you seemed very frightened and hesitated at certain parts of the presentation. Maybe you were nervous or did not have enough practice to fully get accustomed to the new way of presenting that your team adopted.

Finally, it would have been nice if you had made oomparisions with OP1 in your reflection.

On the whole,a job well done! :)

nitika said...

Hi Ganesh,
The new approach was a big risk for our team. It required a lot of practice because it was important that all the members synchronize with each other.However, we felt that this way of presentation would be more interesting.

I do agree with you that I was a bit hesitant at times. The problem was that every time I had a new topic to discuss so sometimes it took me time to adapt myself to the topic. Our team did practice a lot but I think more practice would have made our presentation even better.

I am glad that you liked our presentation style. Thanks a lot for your comments.

Best Regards,
Nitika

nitika said...

Hi Kevin,
I do agree with you that our innovative presentation style was quite risky.But we chose to give it a try. We felt that dividing the presentation into individual sections would make the presentation monotonous.

I would try to improve on my tone.(make it sound less fierce to the audience) My posture was appropriate according to me. However, I think the audience can tell better so I will try to make it less stiff. I wasn't nervous at all. I was quite confident as I had sound knowledge of the content. However, I think I came across to be nervous due to some pauses which were due to the new presentation style.

I will try to improve upon the weakness. I hope I am able to overcome them and do better in the oral defence and future presentations.

Best Regards,
Nitika

Junius said...

Hi Nitika,

From the perspective of a fellow team mate, I have to say you are a good presenter. You were calm and confident. This is definitely attributed to your good knowledge on the topic. The numerous interviews with doctors certainly did helped too.

You mentioned that your pace was faster at times and that required improvement. I have a different opinion on this. You were usually faster when elaborating a point but slowed down for the crucial statement and summary. This form of emphasis is very important for the audience to get the message and you did it well. Also, we did the presentation with prior knowledge that we would overrun it, therefore, it is perfectly understandable for you to speak faster.

nitika said...

Hi Junuis,
I think overall our team managed to put up a good presentation. All our hard work (lots of interviews ,meetings and rehearsals ) helped us to be well informed about the presentation. Cheers to our team.

I think that I should still work on the non-verbal cues like the use of hands. I would try to improve on my mistakes and hope to do better in future presentations.

Thanks

Best Regards,
Nitika

Post a Comment